Can you feel it? Back to School is seriously in the air. Have you had a chance to buy all the stationery and lunchboxes and drink bottles for 2015? I just invested in the adorable Breadwinner set from Tupperware – click here to learn more about the Tupperware range of lunchbox friendly items.
With some NSW schools returning this Wednesday, I wanted to share one of my all time favourite school lunchbox treats!
Mini Quiches are so easy to make and you can use a bunch of different fillings depending on what you and your children like to eat. It is also a great way to use up left overs or random bits and pieces you may have in your fridge. They’re also pretty great for entertaining – you can definitely make these in advance. The other thing that is my absolute favourite is that they are totally freezable. Making two months worth of recess can do wonders for the soul!
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter/Margarine
- Cold Water
- Alternatively, use 2 sheets of frozen Puff Pastry
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 rashers diced and cooked Bacon
- Diced Tomato
- 425g tin Tuna in Springwater, drained and separated with a fork
- 425g tin Corn Kernels
- 250g frozen Spinach and 200g Feta Cheese
- 200g of Chicken and 1/2 jar Asparagus
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Grease muffin tin
- Work butter and flour and salt mixture until it looks like fine breadcrumbs
- Add enough cold water to form mixture into a ball, mixing with a flat bladed knife
- Roll into a rectangle and cut circles to fit the muffin tin
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes whilst preparing filling
- Microwave sliced onion in shallow water for 3 minutes. Drain well and spread over pastry bases
- Put your choice of fillings on top of onion
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the filling
- Beat eggs and milk together. Add salt and pepper, and pour evenly into each muffin section.
- Top with extra grated cheese
- Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 20-30 minutes or until quiches are brown and well risen
These mini quiches are great to take to work or school, and are fabulous for entertaining. Mini quiches can be frozen for up to 3 months. Place straight into a hot oven for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until reheated.
Making a few batches of these would make your life easier during the mid week rush. I hope you and your kiddo’s love these mini quiches like mine and I do.
What is your favourite quiche filling?
Thanks for stopping by,